Friday 6 March 2015

Wow, was 2014 busy ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I had my left knee replaced on February 18, 2014. Surgery went well, except that I noticed my leg looked like it was getting red. I mentioned it and was checked and sent home with some antibiotics. That was on Friday February 21st.

I was to have the bandage changed on Tuesday, the 25th, so I went to the clinic over near the hospital and she didn't like the look of my leg. She suggested I go to the hospital and have it checked out. I did.

I live downtown and had to go up 'the mountain' (we live in the Niagara Escarpment so we are in the 'lower' city and the 'mountain' is what we call the top of the hill) to the hospital where the surgery was performed. I caught the first bus and had to transfer downtown. The bus driver started moving the bus as I got up and I fell. Not all the way but far enough to scare me. I had pulled the bell and she claims she never heard it and then told me I have to pull it before the stop I want. She proceeded to yell at me some, and I back at her. She wouldn't let me off at the stop because she was 'past' it. She did, however, let me off around the corner. I only had to walk about 50 feet instead of the 5' I should have. PLUS I was already not doing well at all.

When I got back to the bus stop I felt like hell and must have looked it because a lady asked how I was. I told her briefly that I had to get to the hospital and she offered to pay for a cab for me.

Sally Braveheart says "oh, no. Its okay. I'll be at the hospital soon." (wish I had thought to get her name to thank her again). I needed that bit of kindness after the stupid bus driver.

I get to the hospital and go to the emergency department where I am looked at pretty quickly. I had a bit of a fever and the intern (or resident) had a look and wanted me to come back tomorrow when my surgeon was doing clinic.

The following day (Wednesday, the 26th) I went to the clinic and turned myself in. They put me in a room and had my surgeon look at me right away. Well, to say he was pissed is candy coating it. When he found out that I had come to the hospital the day before and NOT been admitted he was livid. I don't mean he foamed at the mouth or anything but he was angry. He called in the one that looked at me the day before and told him a few things that it was suggested he remember.

They then put me in a different room where more serious things happen and said he wanted me admitted again. I had to wait for a bed but they started IV antibiotics right away.  They also took several blood tests to see what was happening. (Your blood can't keep a secret.) My doctor came in several times to check on me and one of those times was when I found out how very bad this was.

I was told they may have to remove the knee, pack it with antibiotics, let that settle down, and then replace the knee again and pray it all went well. Or, I could lose my leg.

WHAT!!!!!

What do you mean lose my leg??? Turns out the infection can get into the bone in which case there aren't many choices.

I was taken to a room on the orthopedic wing and this time my room was a semi-private room and don't I get the guy voted 'most cranky, self centred bastard' in the world. You know he's lucky I let him live. He complained about everything. You would have thought he was friggin' royalty. In fact that will be a whole different blog.

I was in the hospital from the Wednesday until Saturday afternoon. On the Friday I had had a PIC line inserted which goes through a vein in your upper arm and right into your heart so the antibiotics are spread faster.

The problem with that is I am now high maintenance. The bag of antibiotics has to be changed every 12 hours. PLUS, someone has to change the dressing and monitor my condition and change and clean the PIC line and all that stuff. So I was assigned a home care nurse.

I was not looking forward to depending on people.
* * * * *
And I am tired now so will write some more tomorrow.

No comments: