Sunday 22 March 2015

Last (?) MRI done

It got to be Thursday night and I still hadn't even received a reminder call. I thought it best to call them as me showing up and finding out I didn't have an appointment for whatever reason, may have lead to blood shed. Or at least a darn good screaming match.

When she answered I said I was just calling to confirm my appointment for the next day. She asks my last name and says 'yes you do; at 1:15'. Nothing else. So, knowing the answer, I asked anyway.

"Do I have to do anything special for the test."
"No. (pause) No metal on your body or clothes."

The next day I show up and proceed on the expedition to find this place. Well holey mackerel. I entered the hospital at the far east corner and walk down this long hallway forever to where there is a sign pointing to Diagnostic Imaging. I turn left and its another long corridor. I stop in where I thought it said to and the lady says: 'oh, a little farther. Go down this corridor to the end and turn right.'

Off I go and turn right to find the longest hallway yet. At the end I can see a little tiny desk with someone sitting at it. I thought at first it was an oasis, but as I got closer I could see it was a receptionist. She signed me in and gave me a questionnaire to fill out. (You'd think they'd have all this info by now. Just give me one that has the blanks for me to fill in or where I can say yes this has changed, or no that hasn't.)

I am 15 minutes early for my appointment, which I'm happy about. But then it becomes 15 minutes after my appointment and there is no mention that they may be running a little behind or something. I am patient, because even though I want to get this over with at least I have made it to 'the day'. After another 10 minutes they take me in where they hook up access to a vein for later injection. I asked about the spectroscopy and find out that they have changed it back to a regular MRI with contrast dye. Another one?????

Would have been nice if I had been told that. But anyway, I sat for another 15 or so minutes talking to someone else getting an MRI on her shoulder. She was a nice young lady and didn't feel right having an MRI when so many other people need them, but her doctor says he has to see what's causing the problem. Yet another nice, young person with manners.

It took about half an hour and it did seem like they took pictures from a different angle or something. I'm only guessing by direction the thumping noises came from. And for some reason, I moved a couple of times. I didn't even realize that I was moving.

I have to stay there for a few minutes after to make sure that the place where the needle came out stops bleeding. I see my nurse walk out and say have a great weekend to the receptionist and there I am alone. I checked my arm and figured I was safe to go. Off I  headed to follow the cracker crumbs back to the beginning.

So, here I sit, at home, not knowing:
when there is an appointment,
where it is,
with whom,
nothing.
I guess I just wait for 'the phone call' that puts you into instant, albeit short, panic mode.

I hate sitting around waiting. I mean I can do it and all, but it sure as hell pisses me off. All I can do is keep reminding myself that we have the greatest medical system on the planet and that I've come this far; a few more days to see how the next chapter works isn't a biggie.

No comments: