Tuesday 14 February 2012

Latest Cardiologist appointment

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

He's very happy that I am finally in a steady rhythm and my pulse is close to my normal of 52. It was 58 yesterday and 54 this morning. Let's hope it stops falling and levels out. Today is the first day of a therapeutic dose, 1x 200mg a day, Monday to Friday, and take Saturday and Sunday off. I was on ten days of loading dose, 2x 200mg twice a day. Now we try to taper it off to the absolute minimum I can take and keep a steady rhythm.

Then I asked "So, what happens if this drug doesn't work?"
He says there is nothing else. I said that I thought I was eligible for a pacemaker.

Nay, nay, I'm told.

Those are for people with a slow heart beat. All we are doing with my fibrillation is holding it off.

What do you mean holding it off? Well, eventually the drug doesn't work anymore or I get used to it or something. I will try to get some clarity on this at the next appointment.

So as it stands now, I just take the new dose and see what happens.

BUT.........

there is still the excitement of tomorrow when I get to see where my INR is.

No comments: