Thursday 25 January 2007

Should have written sooner

I can't believe that it has been so long since I posted on my blog. Where has the time gone?

Shortly after my last post, I got the news that I was getting a new hip. Finally!! They have been putting it off because at 53, and then 54 years of age I was considered too young. Finally this June I was told that I was bad enough that they would do it.

Thank Heaven. It would be so nice to stand straight and not be in pain. I was told the wait was about five months. I planned on it happening just at or after Christmas. Well, in July they called me with a late November date. I was pleased and then shocked and then....... scared. I was mentally prepared for the five month wait but four seemed too short all of a sudden.

I had planned on writing a weekly blog detailing my adventures etc. Obviously that didn't happen. So I thought I would write a weekly one afterwards chronicling my recovery etc. Guess what? It has been 8 WEEKS since I had the surgery and I am just now writing.

They measure your pain level on a 1 to 10 scale, 10 being the worst. The evening after the surgery I was at about a twelve, which sounds bad but wasn't too much higher than what I had been at for the past year or so. The next morning, after a terrible night reacting to morphine, I was at a 2, maybe. I stopped taking the morphine at around three in the morning and went to Tylenol 3's. That's all I needed.

I have been recovering so well. I can stand up straight for the first time in over three years and I can walk fast again. I can also walk distances, which was hard to do before. I still need my knees done and they are all that are holding me back, but I still get out and do about a km a day at this point.

I can shop for groceries without it being an ordeal. I don't have to worry that I may not have brought medication with me or that I will be crossing a street or parking lot and not be able to get out of the way of traffic. I have FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!

Thank you
Ontario!

No comments: