Tuesday 16 May 2006

Men

The REAL Reason Men Invented Plumbing

As I have said before I am on disability, so it is hard for me to do things. I have a nice wooden step ladder that is just the right size for me to sit at the sink to do dishes. There are only the two of us in the house so I don't have many dishes to do. Now, I use to hate doing dishes, but lately I have gotten into this domestic goddess routine, and conservation thing, where I wash my dishes every night; by HAND!!!

Been doing this for about six months. Last night, I did them all, set them to dry and pulled the stopper. Strange noise. You don't really notice the water draining out every night until it suddenly changes sound. I thought it warranted looking at, so I did and what do I find but all my dish water under the sink!! Lucky for me the people we bought the house from lo those many years ago seemed to think they needed a hole for the pipe that was the same size as what you'd use to put a street pipe through. Most of the water went straight through and landed in the basement, fortunately, again, not on anything that could be damaged.

The pipe broke, (BROKE!) right below where it attaches to the sink. Too aggressive in my dish washing techniques? I don't know.

Oh well.

Course if I'd needed a new sink that probably would mean new taps. And you can't have those without getting a new counter. Then the cabinets would make the counter look bad, so I'd better replace those. Then what colour tile do I get for the floor? Oh, and the walls will need repainting. Probably a new ceiling and pot lights…….

Then, the furniture would look terrible so that will have to be replaced. Oh, Oh, Oh, NEW APPLIANCES!!! Stainless Steel of course. Then we should really expand out over the deck and make that a nice little back room/ family/sitting/breakfast nook type room. With a fireplace and maybe another TV. Oh, a hot tub!! What colour should I get the settee in?

Alas, it turns out that the piece that broke is replaceable. All this means I don't need a new sink.

And THAT is why some man came along and became a plumber.

Don't ever let them tell you it was because they were thinking of us.

No comments: