Sunday 9 January 2011

Giant Beer Vats

Molson bought these giant vats from Germany and then had to have them delivered to Hamilton. They could have gone into Toronto, except that there was absolutely no way to get them to the Molson's plant up by Toronto International Airport.

You see not only would they have to remove and reinstall literally thousands of hydro, cable and phone lines, BUT there was just no way to get it past the Gardiner Expressway. That is an elevated roadway that passes across the bottom of the city between the lake and most of the buildings. Then if you could have gotten past that, you just needed to make it under the railway tracks which also run across the bottom of the city. And because Toronto is a hub for a lot of railway traffic there are several sets of tracks beside each other! ! ! !

Not to mention what a mess it would be trying to move those things at night in Toronto on ANY street going north. So Hamilton won out and they are taking a very circuitous route around obstacles.


Sooooooo, that led to them coming into Hamilton and being moved through our city over to the edge of Burlington, north, then east along hwy. 5 then north, then east, then south, east, north, then east, then south, southeast, southwest, west, north, south, west, north, west and south to its destination. This was all going to take place over 4 nights. 


Didn't happen. They only got about 4.8 kms (just under 3 miles). A trip by car that takes 15 minutes, maybe, took them from 9 pm until 6 am the next morning. This put them short of their original first night stop by 12.3 kms (7.6 miles). So, they went a grand total of around three miles in 9 hours. Good thing is, they still move faster than most government agencies.




The first is the picture of the back end of the first vat and then the front end of the second vat. Apparently the convoy is one kilometre long!

Sorry they aren't as clear as I would have liked them to be but I was getting cold from waiting so long and then they turned off the streetlights. So with the shaking of my hands and the fact of trying both natural light and flash, these are what I ended up with.


* * * * * 

I have three blogs going now and I am trying to make myself work on them. I have the ideas but life gets in the way sometimes. I really like writing so I have decided that I will set myself down once a week, Sunday morning, and work on the blogs. This will entail me keeping some notes, etc and then referring to them when the time comes.

I not only like writing them, but I feel a responsibility now to my few fans and I also even get told by them that I "haven't written a blog in a while. "

This better work.

No comments: