Tuesday 30 December 2008

A Lovely Evening

There are some people I have met through a complicated process (see the end of this posting if interested) that wanted to have us over for dinner. Well, it would take less to get half the United Nations together. They both work, we both work, my hubby plays different instruments with different bands so he is always rehearsing or playing or traveling to or from one thing or another.

It was finally decided that the only day we all had free was the Sunday night before Christmas. Great!! The husband of said inviting household is a guitar player and had been wanting to meet my husband. Except that at the last minute my husband's project members decided that they did indeed want to get another practice in before a recording session next month.

Supper had to be moved up by a few hours, but my hubby missed out anyway. He had to leave before supper was ready but he did get to play for and with them for a while. He now has a couple of 'man-fans'. The other husband and a friend of his have a man crush on my hubby. They are amazed at the way he plays, they are enthralled with his guitar collection, they want to know all they can about him. "Man-Crush" ! ! ! !


A nice surprise about the evening was that my best friend and her husband, who live across the street, were invited for dinner as well. It was a wonderful evening. Their daughter, who I adore, although to her face I make like I can barely tolerate her, is amazing. We were talking computery/internet/blog stuff. Such a knowledgeable and astonishing young woman. She has her own blog (A Gossip of Sexy 30-Somethings) happening that I am still trying to figure out. It is like a novel and has been going on for a while so I am just beginning to get the gist of it.

Apparently she had a 'wardrobe malfunction' that she was completely taking into stride until yours truly found a little snide comment to make. I almost had her blushing and she got in a shot at me too so we are still even. I really like the way we kibbutz back and forth. She does the same sort of thing to me in the grocery store when she comes in. I love having people that I can trade barbs with. It is really nice to meet someone that is quick with come backs. I find it challenging and amusing.

Our hosts are such nice people. They want to have us over again when my husband can stay longer. I am very happy to have found this group of people to add to my life.



The Complicated Story:

My best friend lives in a neighbourhood not far from where I work. Across the street from her are two people with two teenage daughters. One of the daughters applied to work at the store and was told by my friend that I would look out for their daughter at the store ( I was asked first whether I would). The daughter and I hit it off and sometimes one or the other of the parents would come in to pick her up or buy groceries and say hi to me.

Then one night in the summer, I made an extra rice pudding for my best friend and took it to her house. She wasn't home so I asked the neighbour whether she could give it to them when they came back. Gladly, she said, and then noticed that it was rice pudding. She wanted to make some for her hubby (who LOVES rice pudding) so I gave her my Mum's recipe that I have had for like a hundred years. Its not TOO detailed so there was a bit of a mess with the first rice pudding she made. I offered to help her sometime and one thing led to another and we are great friends now.

I told you it was complicated.

No comments: